Darkness Falls

Title: Darkness Falls
Author: Cate Tiernan
Publisher: Hodderchildrens & Stoughton
Release Date: January 2012
Pages: 392
How I got the book: Got the hardcover for my birthday  

 

Summary
You can run from your past, but it will always catch up.
Nastasya has lived for hundreds of years, but for some reason it never seems to get any easier. She’s left behind her days of debauchery to find peace and forgiveness at River’s Edge, a safe haven for wayward immortals. There she’s uncovered her family’s epic history, reclaimed her magickal powers, and met Reyn, whom she dubs “the Viking god.” Just as she settles into her new life, Nastasya learns that her old friends might be in town....
Reuniting with her gorgeous and dangerous ex-best-friend, Innocencio, Nas wonders if she’ll ever be truly free of her dark legacy. Is Incy dangerous, power-hungry, and wicked? Or is he the only one who truly understands Nas’s darkness? Either way, Nas is desperate to find out who she really is-even if the answer kills her.


Stand alone or series: Series ! This is the second installment of the Immortal Beloved serie !

Why did I read this book: Because it is an awesooome serie ! I love Cate Tiernan, I started with her Sweep series when I was younger and bought every part with my allowance when it came in the bookstore. So naturally, when she came with a new series I had to have and read it. I really liked the first part, so I was looking forward to the second one.

It took me a bit longer then normal to start this one because I wanted to have the same kind of cover as the one before. I kind of wanted to have the paperback, but it never came out here in The Netherlands that way... (downside to living here)

Cover impressions: I really like this cover, you know why? It doesn’t have a girl on it !! Almost every book I read lately has a person on the front and even though it looks nice most of the time, I prefer it like this, more mystery. And I like to have the same kind of covers from series, and it matches my first Immortal Beloved novel ^^

Review

Like I was already saying, I love Cate Tiernan. I’ve read Sweep and Balefire when I was younger in my own language (Dutch) multiple times, so when she came with Immortal Beloved I was curious.

I liked the whole idea of someone immortal who is sick of life and how she spent living it. I find it very realistic, I mean, think for a moment. If you had lived for almost 500 years, so much has happened to you, good, but mostly bad things will come to pass. And not just that, but you will have had hundreds of years to pound over them and live eternally with the mistakes you made. Sounds rather horrible, and I like the spin Tiernan give to it.

I really enjoyed the first part, were we get to know Nasty and her secrets, and learn more about her past and what it means to be immortal. Like her other series, magic is elemental. I love her describing spells and circles with the coven, she is one of the writers who makes it feel real and authentic. The good and bad having their own type of magic is also very interesting, just as the different levels of power.

In this installment the inner battle between good and evil within Nasty plays a very important part. Sometimes I get annoyed when main characters talk too much about how they feel and what they should do, but with this book I had no problem with that. It seemed necessary for the plot and made you relate more to Nasty.

I also can’t help but to love Reyn. I mean damn, a big, sexy, brooding, muscular Viking.. who doesn’t want one of those in their beds?  Even though he has done so many bad things in his past, he doesn’t give up and fights for a better future. He protects Nasty even though she can be quite cold to him. Sometimes I could slap her ! He is so caring for her and they have of course their horrible dark past together. Having your families been killed by the other is not some minor bump in the road, but he tries to be better, to be good. I do get her, but she is confusing the poor man !! Kissing him in the snow one minute and then walking away angry is just mean.

What I also really enjoyed about this volume is that we get to know more about Rivers past. She seems so serene and stabile, it was really awesome getting to know more about who she used to be and her family as well. Totally awesome.

I disliked it when she walked away from the house and got back together with Incy. God he was sooo creepy ! At first when he came to get her, he still was kind of sane, but later on he kept getting more psycho by the minute. I didn’t trust him at all !

I didn’t like her friends in the first part, but in this part they were even worse ! Not all of them of course, I began to like some of them when they were together in the hotel, but they didn’t end up very well unfortunately… God, I kept hoping she would interfere to safe their lives ! It was also kind of spooky when they went to that place Incy so much loved and I was so proud of Nasty for sticking up to herself and her morals !

Though some things have come to light, there are still a lot of question marks in this story and I am very curious as how it is going to turn out.  Who are Incy’s masters ? I feel a big battle coming up !!

Rating
I really loved reading this one, it made me think. Maybe that sounds a bit weird, but some books have the effect to make you more aware of certain things and I really love that. It shows some good writing to make that happen and Tiernan did it. If I think back about the first part, I have to say I liked this one better. Both are awesome of course, and a lot happens in each of them, but I really enjoyed Nasty’s inner struggle in this one. Not just that, but also the way the plot is developing and we are getting to know the other characters better. I’m reallllllly looking forward to the last part ! 6 Freyja’s !!!


Comments

Popular Posts