The Iron Daughter

Title: The Iron Daughter
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teens
Release Date: August 2010
Pages: 359
How I got the book: Bought it on amazon.


Summary
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

Stand alone or series: Series, this is the second one in the Iron Fey series and there is a spin-off as well !


Why did I read this book: I read the first one a while ago and bought the second one after that. It has been in my bookcase ever since and I kind of forgot about it haha. So when I started reading The Immortal Rules it made me think of Iron Fey and I decided I should read that one first, since I had it longer.  


Cover impressions: The cover is really pretty ^^ I love it. It’s not very special, but I think it really fits with the story and the Fey. I love all the swirls and butterflies haha, so girly. And I love how it fits perfectly with the first one.

Review

When I first started reading this one it took me some time to remember how the last one ended. I was really happy to find out that the writer added some information in the beginning chapters about how things went in the first book. It made the transgression a lot easier and I barely had any question marks left about the story in the fist one. Really liked that !

You got sucked right back in the world of Nevernever with Meghan and the Iron Fey. I enjoy how they keep the original story of the Summer Court of the Seelie and the Winter Court of the Unseelie alive. I really enjoyed how the Fey worked and how she didn’t fit in that world but tried to fit in to protect herself. In the beginning she is “taken captive”  by Queen Mab and the Winter Court and misses Ash. Damn ! How mean Ash was to her !! I could just strangle him for the way he spoke to her and how he made her feel ! On the other side, did I felt she kind of overreacted sometimes but well.. I also enjoyed the drama.

I loved her father for trying to get her back, he seems so uptight sometimes, but you can see he loves his daughter.
Bah ! How I disliked Rowan, mean prince. He tried to humiliate her and hurt her, asshole. I’m curious how thing will progress with him in the next part, I hope he will die horribly. On that note, why did Sage die !! He did not deserve that at all ! I was kind of curious about what he wanted to talk about with Meghan.. but now we will never find out ! LAME. 

I felt like I was in a rollercoaster most of the book, we went from one place, to another, to another, a continues battle against time and evil.

I liked when they went to Leanansidhe in the Between and met Charles and some of the street rats. I did not like when they went shopping though.. seemed kind of unnecessary ? Why did she add that ??   

Just like the part with ehm.. that guy she really liked before she got to Nevernever but played her, she goes on and dances with him ! When someone has been so mean and nasty to you.. you don’t just dance with them and act like everything is fine !! I would have told him who I was and give him the fingers when walking away ! Girl Power !!

I liked the mystery around Charles and I’m curious if we’re going to see more of him in the following parts !

I did not like the love triangle.. Just chose one !! Okay it is nice not to have one guy but a choice in the matter, and Puck and Ash were both really cute.. But it was obvious from the beginning that only Ash was good enough, and she loved him way more then Puck. I felt sorry for Puck.. like she was playing him !! She keeps thinking about Ash but tries Puck out ? Come on ! Bad move !!! If you love someone you should stick with it and not run towards someone else the minute things get hard ! And then get all jealous when he flirts with others.. LAME.   

I do hope though, she will leave Puck alone and not hurt him anymore in the next books! So I’m a mix between team Puck and team Ash, because I like Puck better.. but I also thinks he deserves better then Meghan.. so Ash can have Meghan XD and I will take Puck home J Good deal right ?

Oooeee I really liked IronHorse in this part ! He was cool, tough and shouting a lot ^^ He was very loyal and I felt sad when he came to an end L Also Grimalkin !!! Yeah !! He was bad-ass !! Mister I-don’t-give-a-damn always comes through in the end and saves the day haha.

I liked the plot, it was fast paced most of the time and had some action in it as well. Some secrets came to light I didn’t aspect to happen and the ending was kind of surprising in its own. I enjoy the whole Iron Fey versus the “normal”  Fey with the current technology improvements, and I am curious as how the next part will proceed with this.

Rating
Even though I like a lot in this story, some things seem a bit to much and unnecessary… It irritated me how shallow she was sometimes and cared little for how her behavior affected others.. Like Puck
L He deserved better ! I think I liked the first book better and I hope the third one will top this one.. I would dislike it very much to see it falling down.
I’m having doubts about rating this one, 3 or 4? I will go for 3.5 Freyja’s and hope for better in the next installment of the Iron Fey.

Comments

Popular Posts