REVIEW The Dirt on the Ninth Grave.

TITLE. The Dirt on the Ninth Grave
AUTHOR. Darynda Jones
RELEASE DATE. January 2016
PAGES. 352
FORMAT. Ebook
GENRE. UF

SUMMARY.
In a small village in New York lives Jane Doe, a girl with no memory of who she is or where she came from. So when she is working at a diner and slowly begins to realize she can see dead people, she's more than a little taken aback. Stranger still are the people entering her life. They seem to know things about her. Things they hide with lies and half-truths. Soon, she senses something far darker. A force that wants to cause her harm, she is sure of it. Her saving grace comes in the form of a new friend she feels she can confide in and the fry cook, a devastatingly handsome man whose smile is breathtaking and touch is scalding. He stays close, and she almost feels safe with him around.

But no one can outrun their past, and the more lies that swirl around her—even from her new and trusted friends—the more disoriented she becomes, until she is confronted by a man who claims to have been sent to kill her. Sent by the darkest force in the universe. A force that absolutely will not stop until she is dead. Thankfully, she has a Rottweiler. But that doesn't help in her quest to find her identity and recover what she's lost. That will take all her courage and a touch of the power she feels flowing like electricity through her veins. She almost feels sorry for him. The devil in blue jeans. The disarming fry cook who lies with every breath he takes. She will get to the bottom of what he knows if it kills her. Or him. Either way.



STANDALONE or SERIES.
Series !! This is already the ninth part of the Charley Davidson series.

WHY this book.
Because I LOVE this series, I LOVE Charley, I LOVE Cookie, I LOVE Reyes, I LOVE Bob, I LOVE Osh, I LOVE Garrett.. I just love this series very much and after the eight part (which ended really exciting) I was totally bummed I had to wait for the next one.. And now I’m really bummed I have to wait for the next one again XD

FIRST THOUGHTS.
AWESOOOOME !! Oh how I felt for Charley in this part, she has been through so much already and now she even have lost her memory !! Just like the Mercy Thompson series, is this a series for me that feels like coming home. I know everybody, I love everybody and I’m so happy to read more about them. It’s just really one of my favourite series and this next instalment is just as great as the other ones. Maybe even more so, because you really want the old Charley you’ve come to love to come back..

PLOT.
In the last part Charley finally had her baby Beep and survived yet another slaughter. But to keep her child safe, she had to give it away and after all that happened she just broke. She disappeared out of nowhere and found herself in New York, Sleepy Hollow with no memories of who she is or what she can do. In this one we find her without her memories working as a waitress in Sleepy Hollow, surviving and being very confused. She found out she can see dead people, and that she can stop time. Charley wouldn’t be Charley if she didn’t think up the most funny explanations as to who she is and the people surrounding her, like she is a time traveller and Cookie is psychic. Everyone she knew is near her, and she is kind of suspicious about their motives.. but don’t remember anything. Even though she don’t know, she quickly falls back into her knack for trouble and before she knows it people try to kill her and she tries to safe everybody. 

I really enjoyed this plot, to have Charley lost in a new place, discovering everything again.. It mixed things up and I liked that. I also liked all the different mysteries around her, finding her. The trouble with Erin and her child, the store owner down the street being held hostage, Ian the creepy cop, it makes it really exciting and I could not put it down.

It had a good upbeat pace, that kept me interested all the way through, things just keep happening.

ROMANCE.
I felt so sorry for Reyes and Charley.. After everything they have been through to lose each other again and have to start over. Mostly for Reyes because he still remembers… To see the woman he loves so lost and nothing he can do about it except watch from a distant. But they belong together, and even though she doesn’t remember that bond still pulls her to him. So romantic and really hot ^^

SETTING.
This story is set in a world of angels and demons, were there are gods from different dimensions, and of course, grim reapers. It is a nice change of scene from the werewolves and vampires, with it’s own unique twist. 
It is nice to have a change of scene too, to be in Sleepy Hollow instead of Albuquerque. Of course there had to be a headless man on a horse haha. It was funny to watch Charley and Cookie as waitresses instead of private detectives, mainly Cookie with her clumsiness haha. 

But instead of Charley knowing what and who she is, she sees it from a completely blank point of view, and it was nice to see how she discovered things about herself all over again.

CHARACTERS.
I LOVE them all, after a while I got to know most of them and they are really great persons. It is nice to see them from a fresh point of view from Charley with her memory loss. About that, even though she lost her memory Charley is still the same weird, selfless, awesome person that I’ve missed. Some new ones too, like Dixie and Erin, that made for some exciting news. I love how bad a liar Cookie is, and how she barely escaped situations where she almost revealed everything. I love Reyes, and how he only has eyes for her.. he is truly loyal to her. I loved Osh making things more fun, or Garrett trying to help her. And HA ! Bobert XD How awful ! It’s just a great set of people.
And a special mentioning to her father, for making the ultimate sacrifice.

FAVORITE.
Even though I love everybody, I love Charley the most. She is just a really special and unique person. I’ve never come across anyone quite like her. I laughed out loud a couple of times for the situations she got herself into and those around her. Like the robbery, poor Lewis. She just really makes this book with her personality. 


LEAST FAVORITE.
Easy one, Ian. Totally creepy guy that doesn’t take no for an answer. Didn't trust him from the beginning ! But well, did not expect he did so many bad things....


THE BAD.
The bad connects good with my least favourite character, because I do think that I was not really satisfied with his ending. Yes, he got what he disserved in the end, but he murdered multiple people, so how about their families ? And the headless guy, was it really and accident of had Ian a part in that? Wished that she told me more about that !

FAVORITE QUOTES.
“Je t’ai aimée pendant mille et un. –R.”
.
“You know?” he asked.
“Yes. I know what I am.”
“You – you do?”
“I’m a time traveler.”
.
“As far as superpowers went, if a vengeful madman hopped up on 24-Hour Sudafed and wielding a broadsword named Thor’s Morning Wood ever attacked us, we were screwed. Six ways to Sunday.”
.


FINAL THOUGHTS.
Because I’ve known Charley for a while now, and I’ve read along with her and all the things she has been through it really is a part of me too. I don’t know how else to explain it, but it is just really great to read about her again and how her story continues. Unfortunately I have to wait again now for the next part, which will be out this June.. so luckily not a very long wait, but still.. I want it ALL NOW. So for the rating, I would like to go for the full 5 Freyja’s.. because the writer really made Charley real to me, and as a writer that is a great accomplishment.

 

Comments

Popular Posts