A Beautiful Evil

Title: A Beautiful Evil
Author: Kelly Keaton
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: February 2012
Pages: 285
How I got the book: Borrowed both this one and the first one from a friend



Summary
Myth and mayhem inhabit a richly reimagined New Orleans in this sequel to Darkness Becomes Her.After the epic graveyard battle at the end of Darkness Becomes Her, Ari and her friends know what they’re up against: Ari is facing the Medusa curse and is haunted by the image of what she will become. To make matters worse, the heinous goddess Athena has kidnapped young Violet and is threatening to destroy Ari.

Ari, along with the superhot Sebastian, is doing everything she can to learn more about Athena and to get Violet back. But the battle of good and evil is bigger than she realizes, and she’s about to be pulled into a world more horrific than she could ever imagine....


 


Stand alone or series: Series, this is the second book in the Gods & Monsters serie

Why did I read this book: Because I really liked the first one - I love Greek mythology and original stories - Soo... I wanted to see how the story continued !

Cover impressions: I can't help myself, but I do make opinions based on the cover sometimes. I like this one, the dark colours, and the hair. Haha. It gives me a mysterious feeling and I like that. I also prefer to give my own imagination to the looks of the characters and this doesn't ruin it.

Review
So starting this one was rather easy, luckily I got both books at the same time, so I didn't have to waitfor the second one. You know when the first one ends very exciting and life threatening and you have to wait AN ENTIRE YEAR for the next one ?! Not cool. But as I was saying... I was happy to be able to read the next one right ahead.

So starting of with the characters, I really liked Ari. I felt kind of sorry for her, searching for your mother and then finding out she isn’t there anymore L And not only that, but she turns out to be a awesome yet fearsome Gorgon ! I really enjoyed her personal struggle with becoming the monster she didn’t want to be, and how she progressed during this installment.

So THE guy.. of course it was totally to expect she would end up with Sebastian from the beginning.. but well.. I didn’t love him. Let’s say that I would not kick him out of my bed, but he seemed kind of flat. I didn’t get a lot of feel for him and he stayed that way. I love it when things get steamy, when appropriate(!!), but I kind of missed that one. Taking in consideration that the writer has no problems detailing torture and other gory stuff, but it is wrong to get at least a little hot together?

And not to forget about Violet, how cute and totally creepy at the same time is she huh. Though I liked the thought of her, I missed more background information about her, about her history. And not only her, but all the others as well. The orphans especially, I wanted to know more about them and how they came to be, but nothing. That disappointed me.

The story itself is very original. I love original stories. You give me a story that has the same world as this one ! The idea of how New Orleans became New 2, and how it actually is it’s own place with supernatural beings is just awesooooome. Not to mention how they get into the world of the Gods, even more awesome !

But well.. the story went so fast sometimes.. Every now and then I had to look back and see that it was already over and she started battling again to save the world. I disliked that. Of course there has to be some kind of progress to keep it interesting, but this one was just to much sometimes. Relax. Sit back. You know? You don’t have to save the world in a day. It just felt to rushed sometimes…

Rating
Taking all things in considering I have to give this one 3.5 out of 6 Freyja's. Why not more you ask? Because well.. even though I really liked the story and the characters, I miss the WOOOW factor. It just wasn't there. I love an original story, and this one was definitely original, but I didn't make me crave for more. It was to fast paced for me, and I missed the development of most of the characters. Ofcourse when The Wicked Within comes this September I'll keep it in mind, but it's not like I will count the days for it's arrival and make sure I pre-order it.


Comments

Popular Posts