Review Bad Romeo.


Title. Bad Romeo
Author. Leisa Rayven
Publisher. St. Martin’s Griffin
Release Date. December 23rd 2014
Standalone/Series. First novel in the Starcrossed series
Pages. 417
Genre. New Adult – Contemporary Romance

Description.
When Cassie Taylor met Ethan Holt at acting school, sparks flew. She was the good girl actress. He was the bad boy about campus. But one fated casting choice for Romeo and Juliet changed it all. Like the characters they were playing, Cassie and Ethan's romance seemed destined. Until he broke her heart and betrayed her trust. Now the A-list heartthrob is back in her life and turning her world around. One touch at a time. 

Cast as romantic leads once again, they're forced to confront raw memories of the heartbreaking lows and pulse-pounding highs of their secret college affair. But they'll also discover that people who rub each other the wrong way often make the best sparks.


Review.
This is one of the books that I’ve had in the back of my mind of months, thinking about it every now and then when I decided what to read next, but I never got to it. Until now !! After the disappointment of November 9 I was still in the mood for something highly emotional and tragic, so I hoped this one would do better.
It did.. to some extent.

I loved how fast I flew through the biggest part of the book, she has a very compelling writing style.

I kept thinking about the book even when I was busy with other stuff. How would it continue, and what is their story, what happened between them in the past?

I also liked the sexual tension at the beginning. It was cracking! Later on, I got more irritated by that, but I liked how she managed to create such tension on the pages of a book.

Even though I liked how compelling she wrote, I did not like the setup of the story. She switched between past and future rather abruptly. Every time I got invested in one part, she pulled me away from it and time jumped me back into the other one. It took me a while to get back into that one, and that kind of sucked. It also felt kind of random, like there was no logical order to these time jumps.

I did not really like the MC. In the beginning she seemed kind of interesting, even though she never really went through anything tragic, it was refreshing and she seemed nice. But well.. I got to be honest, I did not like how horny she was the entire book long. Like get over it, WE KNOW. Plus she was kind of pushy, coaxing Ethan into having sex even though he explained it would be a bad idea.. and then act all surprised when it does end bad. DUUUH.

And let me not even get started on Ethan. What a jerk. For me, he was not a sexy bad guy, he was an asshole. He was mean and said some stuff that made me really angry. You don’t say those kind of things if you love someone. I would have left you Ethan !! Without a doubt.
But Cassie didn’t.. and that made me even more angry with her as well.
And his sudden past tragedy seemed kind of overused? Like through it in there as well, maybe that way people will understand him better? Well no. Still not an excuse.

You know, there is a difference between love and lust. And I have to admit, this felt more like an insta-lust kind of romance, than that they really loved each other. All she kept talking about was how hot he was, how sexy he was, how great he (and certain parts of him) looked.. but did they really know each other beyond that? It did not feel like a believable romance to me.
And not only that, but it also felt kind of toxic. They did not have a healthy relationship, it was bad and dysfunctional. 

And WTF with that ending? It was really weird. To me it felt like we needed another chapter to finish it, but then it ended rather abruptly. Can I even call it a cliff-hanger??
I disliked how some questions weren’t answered yet, like how they really broke up? It felt like we were working towards that, but she didn’t even reveal that.

I really dislike that I did not love it as much as I wanted to love it. I did feel invested in the MC at the beginning, but later on I stopped and got more annoyed with her and her behaviour. I did not really find their story very romantic, but more like two teenagers/adults (depending on the time)lusting after each other in a bad and dysfunctional way. This book was one big tease and I’m not really sure if I want to continue with this series.

Rating 2.5






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts