REVIEW Gathering Darkness.

TITLE. Gathering Darkness
AUTHOR. Morgan Rhodes
PUBLISHER. Razorbill
RELEASE DATE. November 27th 2015
PAGES. 407
FORMAT. Paperback
GENRE. Fantasy, Young Adult

SUMMARY.
War brought them together. Love will tear them apart.

Alliances form across Mytica and beyond as royals and rebels alike race to hunt down the Kindred—the four elemental crystals that give their owners god-like power. The stakes have never been higher for Magnus and Cleo, who are brought together by a life or death decision that will lock their fates and change the course of the kingdom forever.

THE REBELS forge ahead. Princess Cleo slays with sweetness—and a secret that might control Lucia’s magic—as she and vengeful Jonas lead the hunt for the all-powerful Kindred.

THE KRAESHIANS join the fray. Ashur and Amara, the royal siblings from the vast kingdom across the Silver Sea, prove to be just as ruthless as they are charming as they manipulate their way to victory.

THE WATCHERS follow Melenia out of the Sanctuary. They ally, in the flesh, with King Gaius, who vows to use Lucia’s powers to unveil the Kindred.

And which side will Prince Magnus choose, now that everyone he’s been betrayed by everyone he’s ever loved?



REVIEW.
So, already at the end of the third part of the Falling Kingdom series, followed soon by the fourth !! And then I’ll have to wait for the fifth until the end of the year… So I don’t have much haste with the fourth one haha.

After finishing the second book I could not wait to get started on this one and I was not disappointed at all !! Even though I liked the first book better than the second book, I hoped this third one would be better again and I was right !! This third book had me hooked throughout the entire story again and left me aching for more. 

Since a lot in happening, and most of it brings along to much spoilers I will keep it short. The plot continues in the world of Mytica were Cleo, Magnus, Lucia and Jonas are furthering their search for the Kindred, and get some big surprises ! Once again, people get betrayed, alliances are made and a bunch of people get murdered. And, we get to know more about the brother and sister from the Kraeshians !

Once again a lot of plot twists that I did not see coming and I really love that about this series. It keeps me enthralled and even more important, on the edge of my seat ! I love how unpredictable this series has become and keeps surprising me ! 

Also, the world-building is great ! We get to know more and more about the world and how things are happening because of the Kindred and how it affects not only Mytica, but the Sanctuary too. I love how some secrets involving the Kindred get resolved, and I think the world will get even bigger in the next part. Or well, I know it will because I saw a bigger map in the next book haha.

The romance with Cleo continues on.. and I’ve made my choice ! Ha ! I’m indecisive anymore !! I’m sooo team Magnus. Would never have thought that after the first book, and he really has grown on me and Jonas.. well he can find someone else (and maybe he already has.. but no spoilers !!). 

But, even though there is just an inkling more romance than the last part, it is only a side show to the main plot. Which I love. 

But, Cleo still remains my favorite character. She shows once again how brave she is and acts when facing danger. Even though she is a princess, she fights for what she wants and don’t let others do it for her. She became a lot smarter and cunning throughout this story, to survive, and I love seeing her become a real Queen more and more each step she takes.


Lucia on the other hand is not someone I enjoy much as a narrator. In the second book she was asleep for the most, so I was very curious about her. But.. I just don’t like her. I don’t know why exactly.. but I just find her a bit confusing. Of course, she has this enormous powers that she is trying to control and that has taken its toll.. but she really is quite naïve sometimes and I dislike that. Like, she is completely head over heels with Alexius, and trust him more than anybody else. Why ? She just met him. Magnus (even though he is jealous) is someone she has known her entire life and she just shoves him aside. She should trust more in the people who have cared for her her entire life than people she just have met..

FAVORITE QUOTES.
I have this one quote that I love very much, and that made me absolutely sure about my choice.

“You want to know why I did what I did?" His dark brows drew together as if he were only now allowing himself to consider this question. "It’s fairly simple, actually. It's because, without your bravery in the face of all that's happened to you, without your constant scheming behind my back, without that fire of hatred and contempt and hope in your eyes when you look at me..." He hissed out a breath. "In the shadow my father has cast over my entire life, you are the only light I can see anymore. And, whatever the cost, I refuse to let that light be extinguished.”
.

FINAL THOUGHTS.
This series has quickly become one of my favorite fantasy series and I can (almost) hit myself on the head for not starting on this sooner. But what is done, is done, so all I can do is recommend to you to pick this up !! Because for someone like me, who has a lot of issues with continuing series, this has got me completely hooked. I already itch for grabbing the fourth book and can’t wait to see how it will all continue !! For those who are into fantasy and love a good, exciting story with a lot of surprises, take my advice and start the Falling Kingdoms series ! You will not be disappointed ! 5 Freyja’s !!

Comments

Popular Posts