Review. Roar


Title. Roar
Author. Cora Carmack
Publisher. For Teen
Release Date. June 13th 2017
Standalone/Series. First novel in Stormheart series 
Pages. 380

Genre. YA, Fantasy

Description.

In a land ruled and shaped by violent magical storms, power lies with those who control them.

Aurora Pavan comes from one of the oldest Stormling families in existence. Long ago, the ungifted pledged fealty and service to her family in exchange for safe haven, and a kingdom was carved out from the wildlands and sustained by magic capable of repelling the world’s deadliest foes. As the sole heir of Pavan, Aurora’s been groomed to be the perfect queen. She’s intelligent and brave and honorable. But she’s yet to show any trace of the magic she’ll need to protect her people.

To keep her secret and save her crown, Aurora’s mother arranges for her to marry a dark and brooding Stormling prince from another kingdom. At first, the prince seems like the perfect solution to all her problems. He’ll guarantee her spot as the next queen and be the champion her people need to remain safe. But the more secrets Aurora uncovers about him, the more a future with him frightens her. When she dons a disguise and sneaks out of the palace one night to spy on him, she stumbles upon a black market dealing in the very thing she lacks—storm magic. And the people selling it? They’re not Stormlings. They’re storm hunters.

Legend says that her ancestors first gained their magic by facing a storm and stealing part of its essence. And when a handsome young storm hunter reveals he was born without magic, but possesses it now, Aurora realizes there’s a third option for her future besides ruin or marriage. 

She might not have magic now, but she can steal it if she’s brave enough. 

Challenge a tempest. Survive it. And you become its master.



REVIEW.
First of all, many thanks to FairyLoot for getting me this one in the June subscription box. Would I have picked it up otherwise? Probably. But now I have a pretty hardcover and I read it right away.


So yeah, I went into this one prepared to be disappointed. A lot of new YA fantasy series have been.. well, not really up to standards and I was afraid this would be another one of those. In a way it was one of those.. But it did bring some interesting new ideas into the mix and overall I liked this book.


The world. I really liked this idea, this fantasy world surrounding big scary storms, Stormlings, Storm hunters.. How awesome is it that people can fight the weather, hell, not only fight it, but conquer it. I really liked how she built this world, kept a bit of mystery in it, and slowly revealed more of this magical world and the people in it.

The romance between Roar and Locke. I really liked how it was not really instalove (which I dislike very much), but they built it up and developed more feelings for each other over time. With lots of fights and bickering. A bit cheesy sometimes.. but overall I liked it.

I’m still a bit in doubt whether or not I really like Roar.. I mean it is awesome that she decided not to dwell in self-pity and take matters into her own hands. To train and fight. But for a spoiled/secluded princess she is way more kick-ass then she should be…

The Stormlord. I really liked the mystery surrounding him. Who is he ? Where did he came from ? Why is he on a killing spree ? He is planning something… Very interesting !!


I liked how, even though it was mainly focused on Roar, we get to know the other hunters too. We get glimpses of their past and how they all had a really different life before they joined the crew. I appreciate getting to know more people instead of just the MC and her lover. Hope they will continue to play a part in the next one ! 


The special-snowflake-syndrome. Why did she have to be special !?!?! Just make her an awesome, kick-ass hunter queen. I won’t have any problems with that. What I do have problems with all those YA writers who have to give them SPECIAL powers !! Let some of them be special by being normal for once !!!

Cassius (AKA the BAD boy). I’m really starting to dislike the standard bad boy type. He’s so bad/evil, but on the inside he really likes her and wants to protect her. Blegh. Come up with something new.

The biggest problem for me was how predictable this book was. All the “plot twists” I saw coming miles away. There were NO SURPRISES for me. Most likely I already guessed some stuff that will happen in the next book(s).


About that.. I really dislike the possibility of a love triangle ? I mean I don’t know if I can really call it a dislike because it did not happen yet, but it did leave some wrong feelings after I finished it..  Because well, she met Cassius first, found out right away there was something wrong, left.. Met Locke. But well, is she still his bride to be ? I’m scared that there will be a love triangle in the next book and I’m really NOT looking forward to that.


Even though it had some interesting ideas, and I had fun reading most of the book, it most certainly has its flaws. It’s still a YA Fantasy that falls back into the problems that most of these books have. The plot is predictable, the main characters do not really stand out, and in the end of course there has to be something special about our MC. Throw in some cheesy romance and we have all our standard ingredients for a YA Fantasy. Stop doing that !! Give me something new and unpredictable.
I will continue with this series, and hope the second book will acquire some more originality and personality ! 

Rating 3.5


 



Comments

  1. Awesome! :)

    Would you mind checking out my book reviews blog at https://elsbookreviews.blogspot.ca/ and possibly give it a follow? Super excited to read your posts!

    - El

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts