Broken Things to Mend REVIEW.

TITLE. Broken Things to Mend
AUTHOR. Karey White
PUBLISHER. Orange Door Press
RELEASE DATE. January 1st 2016
PAGES. 296
FORMAT. Ebook
GENRE. Contemporary Romance


SUMMARY.
Celia is in desperate need of a change--a change of scenery, a change of pace, and a complete redo of all relationships. Not knowing what else to do, she opens a map, closes her eyes, and lets fate decide her future. Then she packs her meager belongings and buys a one-way ticket to a little town on the fringes of Oregon's Deschutes National Forest called Sisters. She's wanted a family for years. Will she find one in Sisters?

What Celia doesn't plan to find is a strange Chinese woman whose meddling ways keep throwing her in the path of a handsome, but reserved, forest ranger. But no matter how kind or dependable Silas seems to be, there are some things in Celia's past that neither of them can escape, and this time, the damage might be too much to mend.

 


REVIEW.
This is the first book in the Power of the Matchmaker series, but you can read this book as a standalone as well.

I read If We Were a Movie a week ago and noticed it was part of a project ! So I did some research and come to the conclusion that I wanted in. I want to read this entire series that comes out every month this year by different authors. But since it is already the end of March, I have some catching up to do. Starting with this book.

So yeah, I never heard of this author before, and never read anything from her to compare this one to.. But I was not very impressed. Not that it was a very bad novel, it was easy to read and I finished it very soon. But it was all so predictive and well, kind of boring sometimes. 

The main character, Celia, is not really my kind of person. Yes it is horrible what she went through.. but people react to this kind of things different. Her way of dealing: running and acting like a victim. And even though she felt more at home in Sisters, she kept everything to herself until she no longer could and kept running away from her problems instead of dealing with it. She had people surrounding her who really cared about her and are willing to help, and she still kept everything from them. She didn't let anybody in. 


Everybody kept saying she was doing so good, and of course she was.. but I have a thing against people acting like a victim. Yes, of course, she is a victim. But, to me, there is a difference between being a victim who rises above that and being a person who keeps victimizing themselves.
English is not my first language, so I don’t know else to explain it, but I really thought she kept too long in the role of the victim instead of doing something about it. It made me like her less, and I had times I really wanted to shake her to step up and do something about it.

What I also did not like, what I felt very strongly about, was that she did not press charges. Yes she wanted to be done with it and did not know his entire name.. But still. Not only for her, but what if he does it again to someone else ? That could have been prevented by doing something about it. But she just kept it all hidden away and I didn’t like that.

And the ending was just so predictable that I saw it coming from the moment she became aware of her new situation..   

But, I did like Silas, he was really cute and just adorable. Not really the kind of man I would go for, but he was attractive in his own way. And not just that, but also how the stuttering played a part in the story. I liked how she made me more aware of that and how it is for those people. It is not like he is dumb or mentally ill, he just has trouble speaking. But still do other people mark him as “different” and that is totally unfair. It does not make him less of a man, and I really wanted a happy ending for him.

And also.. I did not really feel it. Yes sometimes I felt a bit for a character, but I had no strong feelings for the story and the romance. I love it when I feel with the characters and fall deeper in love during the story with the romance.. but I did not happen. I don’t know why, maybe her writing style ?
Because that is something I do have to bring up as well. I did not really like how she wrote things. It felt sloppy and thrown together. I did not really flow well so to say.

And last, of course, I should talk about the part of The Matchmaker Pearl in this book. I might have been (okay I am) kind of biased because I thought she was really kickass in If We Were a Movie. She had like awesome mystical powers and stuff.. but in this book she only introduced them. That’s all. And then she left. In the other story she stayed to intervene every now and then.. but here she did not really do much. I would have liked more Pearl, since well, this is part of The Power of the Matchmaker series and she should play a bigger part.

FINAL THOUGHTS.
So, all in all I did not really like this book a lot. It had some good things in there and it was not very long.. but it didn’t really appeal to me.. So I would like to give this book 2.5 Freyja’s. I would not bother reading it again and I didn’t really move me. 


 

Comments

Popular Posts