REVIEW Firstlife.

TITLE. Firstlife
AUTHOR. Gena Showalter
PUBLISHER. Harlequin Teen
RELEASE DATE. February 23rd 2016
PAGES. 448
FORMAT. Ebook
GENRE. Young-Adult, Fantasy

SUMMARY.
Step one...you die.

ONE CHOICE. TWO REALMS. NO SECOND CHANCE.

Tenley "Ten" Lockwood is an average seventeen-year-old girl…who has spent the past thirteen months locked inside the Prynne Asylum. The reason? Not her obsession with numbers, but her refusal to let her parents choose where she’ll live — after she dies. There is an eternal truth most of the world has come to accept: Firstlife is merely a dress rehearsal, and real life begins after death.

In the Everlife, two realms are in power: Troika and Myriad, long-time enemies and deadly rivals. Both will do anything to recruit Ten, including sending their top Laborers to lure her to their side. Soon, Ten finds herself on the run, caught in a wild tug-of-war between the two realms that will do anything to win the right to her soul. Who can she trust? And what if the realm she's drawn to isn't where the boy she's falling for lives? She just has to stay alive long enough to make a decision…


DNF – 75%



REVIEW.
So this is the first part in the new Everlife series, and the next one will be released somewhere next year. So far it seems like a duology.. but who cares.

Yes I DNF’ed this book, because I just can’t bother continuing.. Even though I only have like two hours left, I don’t care about this book at all. I don’t care what will happen next, I don't care what will happen to the main character and what choices she will make. I don't care AT ALL, and I rather spend those two hours reading something that I do give a damn about. To be honest, I am really disappointed in this story. 

This book has been trending a lot, and the summary seemed very interesting. Knowing what will happen in the next life when you die, and having a choice between two very different fractions that decide how you spend your next life is something new and different for me. So I couldn’t wait to begin this one ! 

It started very interesting as well, with the main character in an asylum, because she doesn’t know which choice to make. Or well, because her parents wants her to choose Myriad and their fortune depends on it. Tenley has been abused and tortured to “help” her make that choice, but she hasn’t caved in yet. It has made her very harsh and she has a lot of trouble trusting people. Luckily.. two guys enter from different sides to get her on their side.. because.. Tenley is very special XD And then it all starts to go downhill for there…

Lately I’m having a lot of difficulty with all the special little snowflakes. It is just no fun anymore. Just stop doing it. It is just ridiculous and I’m really starting to HATE it. It has been done too many times already...

I liked Tenley at the beginning, the asylum has really hardened her and I thought she was totally awesome ! She really kicked ass and puts up a fight. Very independent, and she really stands up for herself and I liked that. But the further we get.. the less I understand why ? What’s the point of her doing this ? She has to make a decision any way at some point, so why wait and let yourself be tortured ? I started to dislike her more and more the deeper we got into the story. She becomes a really whiny little girl.. and still gives no reason at all why she is doing it !! 
She has been through a lot of stuff, even almost dying a couple of times, but she still doesn’t choose.. If she had a good reason I would understand maybe ? But because it seems that she is just stubborn for no good reason at all, she comes over as a very childish and stupid person.

And not only that, but why are Troika and Myriad at war anyway ?? I have NO IDEA. It seems like to whole book is about a silly anxious girl who doesn’t want to make a choice about her future, while pining over an asshole. 

Because, honestly ? Killian is a complete jerk, and a very manipulative one at that. I don’t get the attraction at all. She is made out to be some really smart girl, but the way she acts around him is just ridiculous. Like a major turn-off. Ugh. Just like Killian himself, supposed to be a major player and all of the sudden he falls for the special snowflake.. *sight*. Just kill me now. 

FINAL THOUGHTS.
So yeah, I find this kind of thing really horrible. It has much more potential , and I bothers me a great deal that she did not do more with it. The concept itself, with two sides in the afterlife and having a choice seems great, but it was just executed so poorly and I really disliked it.
So I would like to give this one 1.5 Freyja’s.. because the idea is good, but the rest if it is just awful. I would NOT recommend this book to anyone. 

 

Comments

  1. Sorry you didn't care for this one. You did get pretty far though. I love Gena Showalter's other books that I've read so I'll probably try this one sometime and see for myself. I hope your next book is better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like some of her other series as well, like Alice in Zombieland and stuff, but this one just didn't do it for me..

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts