REVIEW How Willa Got Her Groove Back.

TITLE. How Willa Got Her Groove Back
AUTHOR. Emily McKay
PUBLISHER. Entangled: Crush
RELEASE DATE. 22 February 2016
PAGES. 258
FORMAT. Ebook
GENRE. Young Adult, Romance 

Thanks to Entangled: Crush for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book !

SUMMARY.
When your life feels like a bad movie, rewrite the script. 

When Willa Schofer’s father comes home from a business trip with an über-famous new fiancée, Willa’s senior year blows up in paparazzi-fueled flames. Overnight, she has a new house, a new car, and a new soon-to-be stepbrother—the unbelievably hot, unbelievably arrogant, Finn McCain. Thank god he’s constantly pushing her buttons, or she might do something irresponsible. Like fall for the jerk. 

Just when Willa’s decided to avoid him for, oh, ever, Finn lands in the center of her senior project team. Seriously—how hard is it to shake a guy? At least her work on the project snagged the attention of the (second) hottest guy in school. He might only be into her because of her famous stepmom, and he’s not quite as exciting as a certain annoying housemate, but at least she’s allowed to crush on the guy.

Because crushing on your annoying stepbrother? So not cool.


STANDALONE or SERIES.
This is the second instalment of the Creative HeArts series. This book has different main characters, but is still located at Austin and Austin’s NextGen Academy. 

WHY this BOOK.
I saw it on NetGalley and Creative HeArts rang a bell.. so I checked it on Goodreads, and turned out it was a sequel to Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru ! I really enjoyed that book and had no idea there was going to be a sequel !! Luckily I got accepted, and read it right away.

FIRST THOUGHTS.

How mean !!! I was totally expecting a closed ending ! But nooo.. to be continued. Pfft !! I really wanted to know how it was going to end between them... But when I noticed I was at almost 90% and it still didn’t seem to go in the right direction I was kind of curious. I would have hated it if at the ending things would go too fast. I didn’t want her to cut corners. So I did get what I wanted.. in some way. Grrr.. I want more !

EMOTION. 

 It was not the most emotional read I’ve had, (can’t help to compare it to Cinder & Ella that I read last week that had me blubbering all over the place XD) but I was rooting for them ! I got kind of mad sometimes about how Willa was treated, I hate injustice ! And sad how Finn’s life has been and what made him who he is. But I did feel with them, and I could sympathise, so that’s overall a better emotion then crying ^^  

MAIN CHARACTERS.

I really liked the main female character, Willa. She is so funny, stubborn and strong. I think I would have completely blown up a couple of times if it happened to me, but she stayed (on the outside at least) calm through most of it. She cares so much about the people close to her, I loved that about her. She was very relatable and I got her.
I just love Finn, he is so complex ! He grew up being the son of a very popular movie star , but he doesn’t act like a cliché son. He doesn’t act out a lot and keeps things together. He is very protective of his mother and I adored that about him.. Even though he acts like a though guy, there are some cracks in his shield and I for one am curious if it will break in the next instalment.
And ! There was CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT !! I know, that doesn’t always happen.. but especially Willa (and Finn as well) changed throughout the story and grew more accepting. Great ! 

SECONDAIRY CHARACTERS.
Not only did Emily McKay let me sympathise with the main characters, but she also got me really into the side characters. Like Mariely and Jacen, Hamish, Damien.. I’m am very curious about their stories and what is going on in their lives ! I hope there will come books about them as well !!
Also about their parents, because they both love their parents very much and want to protect them you kind of feel with them too.

PLOT.
Even though the plot is not very complex, the ending was !! It is your basic girl meets boy, they fall in love quickly but deny it and act out on each other instead of giving in to their feelings.. but in the end they get together Nope.. in the end we still don’t know if they will get together and Willa is more into someone else !! Quite the surprise for me.. 
I liked the pace of the book, steady and full of humour. 

ROMANCE.
Ohh how I wanted that they just gave in and got together !! There is SO MUCH tension between them, so wonderful ! I really like that ! They had some moments that were just woow.. full of excitement if this would be the time they finally gave in.. I was so angry at the ending haha..
But it was not the most romantic young adult, the relationship with their parents and the anger towards them played a bigger part. I do think this will be explored more in the next one.

THE BAD.
Even though I was sympathising with the main characters, and I got them.. I did not have a strong connection with them. I kind of missed that. Otherwise, just a great read ! 

FAVORITE QUOTES.
“Oh, I can’t actually see the color of his eyes. It’s too dark for that. But his eyes are definitely blue. Guys like this always have blue eyes. The better to pierce our souls with.”
.
“Nothing ever happens the way it does in the movies. Or books for that matter.
In fiction, if there’s a big knock-down, drag-out fight, you can bet there’s some kind of resolution afterwards. The denouement. Or at the very least, a moment of reflection.
However, in real life, sometimes, after a big fight, you just walk back into the party and someone hands you a cup full of Sprite and you try like hell to act normally. Sometimes, all of that happens even though you’re quietly dying inside. I love that in fiction, you get resolution. And I hate that tonight, I just have to suck it up and act like this kind of drama is normal.”
.


FINAL THOUGHTS.
I thoroughly enjoyed myself with this one. It was a quick read with not even 300 pages, but it did not seem to cut short. Mostly of course, because Willa and Finn’s story will continue in another part. Which sucks, because I want to know what’s going to happen NOW !! I would recommend this one, it is very entertaining and full of humour. So I would like to give it 4 Freyja’s. What I would suggest though, is that you read Ten Things I Hate About Sloane first, because that is an awesome story as well and you shouldn’t miss out on it !

 

Comments

Popular Posts