REVIEW The Crown.

TITLE. The Crown
AUTHOR. Kiera Cass
PUBLISHER. HarperCollins
RELEASE DATE. May 3rd 2016
PAGES. 278
FORMAT. Paperback
GENRE. Young Adult, Romance

DESCRIPTION.
Kiera Cass’s #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series has captured the hearts of readers from its very first page. Now the end of the journey is here. Prepare to be swept off your feet by The Crown—the eagerly awaited, wonderfully romantic fifth and final book in the Selection series.

In The Heir, a new era dawned in the world of The Selection. Twenty years have passed since America Singer and Prince Maxon fell in love, and their daughter is the first princess to hold a Selection of her own.

Eadlyn didn’t think she would find a real partner among the Selection’s thirty-five suitors, let alone true love. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and now Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more difficult—and more important—than she ever expected.

REVIEW.
So here it is, the last part in The Selection series. So let’s recap!

We started with the first book a couple of years back in 2012. I fell completely in love with The Selection and our main character America, she was so fierce and brave ! The way Cass wrote had me completely hooked and I remember finishing this on at 5 in the morning, I kept saying “one more chapter, just until this and this has happened..” That love continued with the second and third book, which came the following years and I felt bad it was finished after The One in 2014.

But then.. All of the sudden two others books were announced ! These were supposed to follow the offspring of America and Maxon, and their eldest daughter got her own Selection.
Mixed opinions of course, some loving to read more about this world, while others thought enough was enough and she was milking the story. Personally, I leaned more towards the latter.

So I read The Heir over a year ago, and now that The Crown was almost released I tried to remember what it was all about. I came up with nothing. I could have told you all about the first three books, how much I felt along with America and Maxon.. but this new Princess? I didn’t even remember her name. So I had to re-read The Heir, and I did like it.. but didn’t love it. It took me a while to get into, and I noticed I had forgotten most of it. Kind of bad that it didn’t leave an impression..

So, onto the last part. Even though I really enjoyed this last book as well, I have to admit that it is not as good as the first three books. Simply said, I just didn’t feel it like I did in the earlier novels. I had much less of a connection to the characters, and I felt like I had been here before, only well.. less exciting. 

Even though the main part of the plot is about the Selection, just like the first books, she throws in some issues with the country as well. I liked that, because we see the castes removed at the beginning, and now, years later, we see the after-affects. That is not something I experience a lot when reading, and I really enjoyed seeing how the plan worked out long-term. And mainly, how much more work there was. It is simple to remove the castes, but not to get the castes out of the people.

Like I said before, I don’t have much with the main character.. But I did like the character development in these last two books. Even though she is not my favorite person, I liked seeing the change Eadlyn went through. At the beginning I did not like her at all, she was, just like her people thought, cold, distant and spoiled. Even though she tried, and I tried, I could not get a connection with her. But during the Selection she grew, both as a woman and a Queen.. and I got to feel a little bit more. She learned to open her heart and let others in. Not enough to make me love her, but enough to make me like her a bit more.

The guys were.. well.. Not very impressive. I liked Henry and Eikko from the beginning, but apart from that I did not really care. Yes, Kile was cute too.. but he was just too convenient. Early on it was quite clear who would end up in the Elite.. and well, I was rooting for Eikko (Erik) from The Heir of on, and was not very surprised at the ending.. 

FINAL THOUGHTS.
I liked it and I had fun reading this last instalment of The Selection. I do have to admit it is nice to read more about how America and Maxon ended up, but honestly? I could have done without. These last two books seem more like a HUGE EPILOGUE. But still, it is nice to read and I really like her writing style. I even finished this one within 24 hours ! So I would like to give this one 3.5 Freyja’s. I really can’t wait to see what she is coming up with next ! Hopefully, something different !

 

Comments

  1. Awe sorry this one wasn't better for you. I just got this one from the library, but not sure if I'll read it yet since I've been seeing many MEH reviews and I don't really have the time for it anyway. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts